Lifeguard - Cashier Emergency and Seasonal Hire
Class Title: Lifeguard
Department: Municipal pool
Division: Swimming Pool Status: Classified
The Lifeguard performs specialized work in the enforcement of regulation and the protection of life at the swimming pool. This position is responsible for maintaining reasonable state of discipline and behavior on the part of swimmers and rescuing those who might be in distress. Instructions and preliminary training are given at the beginning of the season, after which employee is expected to follow the established procedures with minimum assistance. Work is subject to review through visual inspections by supervisor. This position normally works from Monday through Sunday. Individuals may be required to work additional hours as directed by supervisor.
Works under the direct supervision of the City Facility Management Supervisor or Pool Supervisor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols and observes swimming pool area; prevents ball playing, tag games, fighting and other infractions of the rules around the pool.
- Monitors swimming and other pool activities to prevent accidents
- Rescues tired bathers or bathers having difficulties, applies artificial respiration if necessary.
- Administers first aide to cuts and other injuries suffered by bathers and administers CPR when necessary.
- Keeps a daily log of rescues and other emergencies and prepares written reports of these activities.
- Develops cooperative relationships with pool patrons to ensure positive public relations.
- Inspect swimming pool for cleanliness and performs routine maintenance such as vacuuming the bottom of the pool.
- Assists in sweeping, mopping, and picking up of wastepaper and trash in the pool area and buildings.
- May assist with periodic testing of water in the pool to determine chemical balance of chlorinator as directed by Pool Supervisor.
- Ensure pool rescue equipment, benches and other movable equipment are kept in proper area.
- Assist in working behind counter, checking baskets and valuables.
- May be required to work weekends and holidays.
- May assist in teaching swimming techniques.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as necessary or assigned by the Municipal Facility Management Supervisor and Pool Supervisor.
The above information on this position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities of all employees assigned to this job.
A minimum of one (1) year experience as a lifeguard and successful completion a advance American Red Cross Safety is preferred.
- Work experience in dealing with the general public is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in swimming, rescue work, resuscitation, and in giving first aide.
- Good physical strength and sufficient strength to control struggling adult swimmer
- .Ability to maintain constant alertness to recognize emergencies and respond to emergency situations with appropriate action.
- Ability to communicate and establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and with other personnel.
REQUIREMENTS/ CERTIFICATION/ LICENSE:
- Must have American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, Community First Aid and CPR certifications, completed prior to start date.
- Must successfully pass pre-employment drug screening.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS & MATERIALS:
- Usual supplies/materials and chemicals used to accomplish the duties outlined above.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to swim, walk, sit and speak or listen.
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move over 100 pounds, with assistance of other employees.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee mainly works in outside and inside conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud in the pool area.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
This Position Description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The City of Truth or Consequences is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The City of Truth or Consequences makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Contact : Human Resource Analyst
City of Truth or Consequences
505 Sims St.
Truth or Consequences, NM 87901
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled